Guidelines for feeding, health and management- 10 important check points.
Generally you need to limit the times on the pasture, especially in spring when the grass begins to grow really fast or after a long term of drought.
1. Pay attention to the individual need of energy for every horse. In general the dose of pellets needs to be in balance with the physical work of the horse.
2. If your horse has a high physical workout or if it loses weight you need to feed oats or a special kind of mixed fodder with a low dose of starch. You can mix this with two cups of vegetable fats or oils.
3. If you want to change the feeding of the horse you need to do this in little steps. This reduces the probability of indigestion.
4. The fodder needs to be stored in a save place with a looked door. There should be no possibility for horses to eat without control because some horses easily eat too much.
5. Generally you need to limit the times on the pasture, especially in spring when the grass begins to grow really fast or after a long term of drought. You can start with 15 minutes per day and then extend the time in small steps until you reached the perfect grazing time. If your horse has an overweight or already suffered from laminitis in the past you need to be really careful. In some cases horses even need to wear a muzzle.
6. It is recommended to feed fodder of high quality with less starch and sugar. If your horse easily is affected by laminitis you should try to destroy all clover and alfalfa on the pasture.
7. Avoid any kinds of organic diseases which easily cause laminitis. This means that you regularly need to make deworming and vaccinations. There should regularly be a routine examination by the vet.
8. The hooves regularly need to be checked by the farrier.
9. If your horse founders you need to take care not only of the ill but also of the three other legs. This prevents a strain of the other three legs and therefore reduces the probability of a mechanical laminitis.
10. Avoid cantering on extreme hard soils because this strains the hooves and they get damages.